A DevOps engineer is a valuable part of a company. Kelsey Hightower – head of operations at Puppet Labs – called them “Special Forces”. He said that ‘DevOps engineer encapsulates depth of knowledge and years of hands-on experience’.
If you want to get a couple of directions on How To Become DevOps Engineer – without beating about the bush – have a look at this article but first, watch this video [with sound!].
How To Become DevOps Engineer – Why Is It Such A HOT Topic Now?
DevOps is revolutionizing the workplace. According to IDC estimates, the worldwide DevOps software market will achieve $6.6 billion in 2022 in comparison to $2.9 billion in 2017. That is an impressive number.
Worldwide DevOps Software Forecast, 2018–2022: Initial Forecast First Look https://t.co/OK00ETzVto
— Hire DevOps (@HireDevOps) October 29, 2018
According to Indeed, the number of DevOps jobs offers increased from less than 1% in 2012 to more than 24% in 2017. DevOps engineer was named the no. 3 most in-demand tech job in a 2016 Indeed report, and the no. 2 most difficult tech job to fill.
What trends in DevOps world can we expect in incoming 2019? Here is a list of ‘DevOps: Five Trends For 2019 And Beyond‘ by Greg Baker from Pythian:
• DevOps Will Finally Become Mainstream
• Executives Are Getting On Board
• Security Is Becoming A Priority
• Kubernetes Is King
• The Pipeline Is Maturing
Click here to view the full article.
I think that to close this paragraph you definitely should readIt is a really nice read.
How To Become DevOps Engineer – One-Page Hard Skills Guide
Since you already know why so many engineers strive to know How To Become DevOps Engineer it is time to share with you a One-Page Guide on How To Become DevOps Engineer. We have elaborated it on the basis of two articles:
• A comprehensive Developer Roadmap by Kamran Ahmed
• ‘An illustrated guide to becoming a DevOps Engineer with links to relevant courses’ by javinpaul.
Click the link to download PDF.
How To Become DevOps Engineer – Soft Skills Also Matter
Apart from hard, tech skills, DevOps Engineer should also possess the ability to collaborate, multi-task, and always put the customer first.
Here they come:
• Curiosity & empathy: According to Sigler, curiosity, and empathy are perhaps two of the most valuable soft-skill traits a potential DevOps engineer can demonstrate.
• Customer-first mindset: a great DevOps engineer always cares about delivering value to customers and wants to understand and measure how their work is moving the needle, said Omri Gazitt, chief product officer at Puppet.
• Communication & collaboration: being able to communicate effectively with different stakeholders and understand the current challenges and the ‘big picture’ in the organization is the first step to being able to build a strategy to implement culture shifts.
• Flexibility: keeping a cool head, juggling fluid workloads and remaining flexible is one of the keys to success in the DevOps Engineer role.
• Big picture thinking: because DevOps combines the needs and wants of multidisciplinary teams and applications, a successful DevOps engineer can’t lose sight of the big picture for DevOps and digital transformation at the enterprise level—especially in a large organization, said Gidron.
• Decision making: in a busy environment, the ability to make the right decision quickly, while keeping in mind the big picture goals, is extremely desirable trait employers are looking for in DevOps engineers.
How To Become DevOps Engineer – Short Recap
How to be a great DevOps Engineer? The best summary has been captured by PavanBelagatti in his article ‘How To Be a Successful DevOps Engineer’.
He lists 5 Key focus areas to be a great DevOps Engineer:
- Knowing the basic concepts on DevOps and getting into the mindset of automating almost everything
- Knowing different DevOps tools like AWS, GitHub, Puppet, Kubernetes, Docker, Chef, Ansible, Terraform, JIRA, Slack etc.
- Org-wide Ops mindset
- End-to-end collaboration and helping others solve the issues
How to build a successful career as a DevOps engineer (free PDF)
How to become a DevOps engineer: A cheat sheet